Volunteering at CS in Schools
Please click here to apply to be a volunteer for Term One, 2019.
We’re looking for volunteers who can give two hours per week of their time for one or two terms to work with Year 7 teachers, beginning February 2019. Please note that you must be able to attend a workshop on 19 and 20 January, 2019.
CS in Schools is volunteer-based programme. Volunteers are computing professionals who want to give back by spending time in a high school classroom helping teachers become confident and competent at teaching coding and computational thinking.
Before volunteers begin their volunteer time in the classroom, volunteers are required to:
- Submit an application and be selected into the CS in Schools programme
- Complete a Working with Children (Victoria) check
- (Optionally) Spend at least half of one day in one or more classrooms in a high school, observing teachers of any discipline teaching students (CS in Schools will help with placement where needed)
- Attend a two day training programme at RMIT University, learning the basics of being part of a high school classroom. For term one, this is scheduled for Saturday January 19 and Sunday January 20, 2019.
- Meet in person or by video the partner teacher that the volunteer will work with for their volunteer placement (this will be organised by the school)
Volunteer Time Commitments
- (Optionally) At least half of one day shadowing teachers in a school observing teachers of any discipline teaching students (CS in Schools will help with placement where needed)
- Two day workshop at RMIT University for term one, 2019 volunteers on Saturday 19 and Sunday 20 January
- Meeting the volunteer’s partner teacher (in-person or by video) prior to Term 1 commencing (the school is responsible for organising this)
- Approximately 20 or 40 hours supporting teachers in the classroom (2 hours per week for 10 weeks, ideally for two terms. One term is possible). Travel to and from school requires additional time
- One hour debrief meeting at the end of the first term of volunteering
Volunteer training workshop
Volunteers must participate in a two day workshop on January 19 and 20, 2019.
Day one of the workshop aims to equip volunteers with the basics, including learning about student safety, discussing classroom best practices, and understanding basic classroom scenarios.
Day two is primarily composed of a short practice presentation session, where each volunteer delivers a short class to a small group and receives group and one-on-one feedback from an expert. Day two also includes coaching on presentation skills and a discussion of best practices for working with schools and teachers.